Dated Names Found in Ó Corráin & Maguire's
by Mari ingen Briain meic Donnchada (Kathleen M. O'Brien)
© 1999, 2007, 2010 by Kathleen M. O'Brien. All rights reserved.
Version 2.7, updated 18 April 2010
These names are taken from entries in Ó Corráin, Donnchadh
and Fidelma Maguire, Irish Names, 2nd edition (Dublin, Ireland:
Lilliput Press, 1990).
- I have only extracted names which were:
- dated names.
- names of people (not mythological figures)
- not the names of saints. Since some saints are believed to be apocryphal,
I did not include the names of saints in this list.
- In entries where the date given is for a relative of the full name
I've listed, I have changed the date to a "circa" date. For example,
under Cainnech on p. 43, Cainnech is listed as a daughter
of the high-king Donnchad mac Flaind. Cainnech died in 929.
The entry does not state when her father lived, but it had to be within
a reasonable range of her lifetime. Therefore, I have given the date
c929 for Donnchad mac Flaind. At this point, the date becomes
more useful in identifying the century than in identifying an exact year.
But it is an indicator of which era the name can be dated to.
- All of the full names listed in this index are men's names, except
for Lerben Bán (listed in section 2.3) who was a woman.
Ó Corráin and Maguire's Irish Names contains
many dated women's names, but all of those names except Lerben Bán
contain only the woman's given name rather than her full name.
- It is important to note that the spellings of these names appear to
have been normalized, mostly to the standard early forms. They are not
necessary the spellings used in the original medieval documents.
Table of Contents
- Given Names:
- Feminine Given Names:
- Masculine Given Names:
- Full Names that Appear in the Text:
- Patronymic Bynames using mac (son):
- Patronymic Bynames using Ua / ua / Ó (grandson/male descendant):
- Descriptive Bynames (single word):
- Descriptive Bynames (phrase):
- Combinations (phrase):
Editing of original version by Arval Benicoeur
Medieval Scotland | Medieval Names Archive | Dated Names Found in Ó Corráin & Maguire's Irish Names
Medieval Scotland is published by Sharon L. Krossa (contact). Shopping online? How you can support this site.
© 1996-2008. All rights reserved. Copyright of individual articles belongs to their authors. Please do not copy or redistribute without proper permission!